[TowerTalk] Windloading

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Windloading
From: d.dimitry" <d.dimitry@cwix.com (d.dimitry)
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 14:08:52 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01BE30D9.44057F40

Part of a previous discussion went as follows:

>In a message dated 98-12-25 15:35:37 EST, alsopb@gloryroad.net writes:
>
>> In otherwords, does 15 sq foot rating assumes the antenna is at the =
top?

>     No. The 15 sq.ft. is the capacity for the WHOLE tower, regardless =
of
>where the load(s) actually is.
>
>>  Distributing the loading differently could get you extra capability?
>
>      Nope.
>>
>>  What failure mode is limiting and how does distributing the load
>>  vertically impact it?
>
>      It is typically the compression leg capacity that is the limiting
>factor.
>
>Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC

To the contrary, Steve, the elevation points where the antenna loads are
distributed do have a dramatic impact on the overall tower wind-load
capacity.

Just as shown by a simple illustration of, say, having two 10 lb. loads =
at
the end of a 5 ft. lever would be heavier than the same lever having one =
10 lb.
weight at the end and one at the 2 ft. mark, so also this is the same
principle involved with wind-loads near the top of a tower.  OK, I know =
you
will not easily suffer my pedagogical attempts at analogies, so I have
something better for you-- much better.   By reviewing our engineering
specs, you will not only prove this point mathmatically, but it will =
allow
anyone so inclined to figure the exact wind-load of any antenna array
configuration, so long as the tower section properties of your tower =
configuration
are known (our tower section properties are listed early on in the specs =
page).
The address is www.HeightsTowers.com/engspecs.htm .

By the way, to completely controvert some earlier allegations, however =
ingenuous, made earlier on this reflector as regards to my methods of =
tower engineering, I challenge anyone to find any errors, even clerical, =
in our method of engineering tower loads, as demonstrated on our =
Engineering Spec page. =20

=20
Unfortunately, a couple of the illustrative sketches in section 6.0 of =
the Engineering Specs do not show up that clearly on the browser at this =
time.  Although they are not critical in the explanation of the =
formulas, I'll try to repair those soon.  Meanwhile, you may find the =
given explanations informative.=20
=20
Happy holidays, y'all,=20

Drake Dimitry
>>visit our site at:    www.HeightsTowers.com=20

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01BE30D9.44057F40

Part of a previous discussion went as = follows:

>In a=20 message dated 98-12-25 15:35:37 EST, alsopb@gloryroad.net=20 writes:
>
>> In otherwords, does 15 sq foot rating = assumes the=20 antenna is at the
top?

>     No. The = 15 sq.ft.=20 is the capacity for the WHOLE tower,
regardless of
>where the = load(s)=20 actually is.
>
>>  Distributing the loading = differently=20 could get you extra =
capability?

>     =20 Nope.
>>
>>  What failure mode is limiting and = how does=20 distributing the load
>>  vertically impact=20 it?
>
>      It is typically the=20 compression leg capacity that is the=20 limiting
>factor.
>
>Cheers,   = Steve  =20 K7LXC

To the contrary, Steve, the elevation points where = the=20 antenna loads are
distributed do have a dramatic impact on the = overall tower=20 wind-load
capacity.

Just as shown by a simple illustration of, = say,=20 having two 10 lb.
loads at
the end of a 5 ft. lever would be heavier = than the=20 same lever having
one 10 lb.
weight at the end and one at the 2 ft. = mark, so=20 also this is the same
principle involved with wind-loads near the top = of a=20 tower.  OK, I
know you
will not easily suffer my pedagogical = attempts at=20 analogies, so I have
something better for you-- much = better.   By=20 reviewing our engineering
specs, you will not only prove this point=20 mathmatically, but it will allow
anyone so inclined to figure the = exact=20 wind-load of any antenna array
configuration, so long as the tower = section=20 properties of your tower
configuration
are known (our tower section=20 properties are listed early on in the specs
page).
The address is www.HeightsTowers.com/= engspecs.htm=20 .

By the way, to completely controvert some = earlier=20 allegations, however
ingenuous, made earlier on this reflector as = regards to my=20 methods of
tower engineering, I challenge anyone to find any errors, = even=20
clerical, in our method of engineering tower loads, as demonstrated on =
our=20 Engineering Spec page.

Unfortunately, a couple of the illustrative = sketches in=20 section 6.0 of
the Engineering Specs do not show up that clearly on the = browser=20 at
this time.  Although they are not critical in the explanation of = the=20
formulas, I'll try to repair those soon.  Meanwhile, you may find = the
given=20 explanations informative.

Happy holidays, y'all,