[TowerTalk] Re: Dollars per dB

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Dollars per dB
From: davidc@bit-net.com (DavidC)
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 11:28:25 -0500
> As an old ham once told me " It's not what you put up in the air that
> counts, it's what you put up the coax"!!!!!
> Happy New Year to all  John   ZS5JF

Hey John!  Seems your old Ham friend may not have been a
communications expert since communications theory teaches that
it is what is *received* that matters, not what is transmitted.

Take a conversation with a spouse, friend or co-worker for example.  If
you use Ham lingo with a non-Ham they will be confused as to your
meaning and you will have failed to communicate.

In this case if you dump 1KW into a dummy load-equivalent antenna
the person or persons you hope to contact will hear little or nothing,
but if you put 250 watts into an efficient radiator (both in terms of power

transfer and directivity) then your target population is far more likely to
hear you.

Last time I checked we were not meter-readers but communicators!  :-)
I don't care how much my TX meter deflects, I do care how much I cause
his or her RX meter to!

One other note:  It seems that some readers have misread what I posted
as my work, it was not.  I was careful to post the actual author's call at
the start and finish of his text.  His E-mail is k2uvg@gnt.net , for those
who
might wish to contact him directly.  His text was found on his web site at:
http://www.gnt.net/~k2uvg/dolperdb.html .  Perhaps we should invite him
to join the AMPS and/or TowerTalk reflectors, he would seem to find a
comfortable home here.

Happy New Year & 73, DavidC  K1YP