[TowerTalk] Connector losses

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connector losses
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:38:35 -0500
> Most of the previous comments about so called SWR "bumps" caused by UHF
> connectors at HF frequencies, should be ignored.

....unless you are making impedance critical measurements and have a bunch
of connectors in line.

The very real bumps caused by the lower than 50 ohm impedance of the SO-239
are certainly not a problem with one or two connectors at low frequencies.

If a large series of connectors is used, which WAS the topic, and
especially if the connectors wind up being spaced odd-multiples of 1/4 wl
away from other bumps in the same direction, the result can certainly be
enough to affect accuracy of instruments dependent on return loss for
measurements.

Loss is virtually immeasurable, on that point we agree. The biggest problem
is the instrument errors introduced by the bumps.

73 Tom