[TowerTalk] Attaching Large Antennas to Rohn-45 Legs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Attaching Large Antennas to Rohn-45 Legs
From: ke3q@erols.com (Richard Boyd)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 21:52:52 -0500
Not only tightening down too tight on a tower leg, but also a big antenna
bolted to a tower leg will work left and right in the wind, scoring the
tower leg and considerably weakening it at that point -- first wearing
through the galvanizing, etc.  Not good, I've had it happen with a side
mounted 8-el 15.

What I've done (so far) is to use so-called "stop signs" commonly used for
sidemounts (or make your own "boom to mast" type plates from steel plate,
drill holes for U-bolts in appropriate places), and bolt a piece of mast
pipe to the tower leg.  Then attach your yagi to the "outboard" mast pipe
rather than the leg itself.  The play between the "stop sign" and the tower
leg should be minimal and the outboard mast pipe will take the wear and
tear.

73 - Rich, KE3Q