[TowerTalk] HF Preamps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HF Preamps
From: n2tk@idsi.net (Tony Kazmakites)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:19:54 -0500
I am still using an Ameco PCL-P nuvistor preamp.
Also have a Palomar P-310X preamp. After changing the fet with a SK3050 and
adding a ferrite bead on the gate, it became more useable. Now it is almost
as quiet as the Ameco on 40-160m. On 10m it is useless. The noise goes up,
but not the signal. Very seldom do I need it on 10m, but gives me a warm
feeling if it works on all bands.
Modified an MFJ-1046 passive preselector by adding an ARR P1-30/20VD preamp.
Works fine, but gain not as good as the Ameco. Would like more gain for the
Ewe antennas.
So, is there anything out there that beats the old Ameco tube preamp? Or,
should I just stay with what I have?
Tnx for any input.
Tony