[TowerTalk] sad day for ham radio

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] sad day for ham radio
From: thompson@mindspring.com (thompson@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 09:28:20 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_004D_01BE4C32.E00A4DC0

The case of K6STI deciding to quit the business rather than have his =
efforts pirated or even worse put up on the web is all too common.  W7EL =
told me to look at a recent national convention for pirated copies of =
his software.  Since software can be illegally copied there is a =
tendency to forget this is the intellectual property of the author and =
not free to be passed out.   This has been the case since the early 80's =
when the famous TOM Software case broke.  Later the INSLAW case showed =
even the Government could get into the act. And this was software for =
mini's not PC!  K6STI decided that in his case if he removed the =
software then he would not be exposed to the problem.  Hopefully W7EL =
will have more tolerance.

Look at CT.  Anyone can buy a "outdated " version at a hamfest.  I don't =
think K1EA ever though about this happening but since this is an =
unsupported version and since many update to a current version this is =
viewed as an opportunity not a problem.  Hopefully this view will =
prevail.  Support our software vendors.

73 Dave K4JRB
30 + years in software industry Management

------=_NextPart_000_004D_01BE4C32.E00A4DC0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"Courier New">The case of K6STI =
deciding to quit=20
the business rather than have his efforts pirated or even worse put up =
on the=20
web is all too common.&nbsp; W7EL told me to look at a recent national=20
convention for pirated copies of his software.&nbsp; Since software can =
be=20
illegally copied there is a tendency to forget this is the intellectual =
property=20
of the author and not free to be passed out.&nbsp;&nbsp; This has been =
the case=20
since the early 80's when the famous TOM Software case broke.&nbsp; =
Later the=20
INSLAW case showed even the Government could get into the act. And this =
was=20
software for mini's not PC!&nbsp; K6STI decided that in his case if he =
removed=20
the software then he would not be exposed to the problem.&nbsp; =
Hopefully W7EL=20
will have more tolerance.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"Courier New"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"Courier New">Look at CT.&nbsp; Anyone =
can buy a=20
&quot;outdated &quot; version at a hamfest.&nbsp; I don't think K1EA =
ever though=20
about this happening but since this is an unsupported version and since =
many=20
update to a current version this is viewed as an opportunity not a=20
problem.&nbsp; Hopefully this view will prevail.&nbsp; Support our =
software=20
vendors.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"Courier New"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New">73 Dave K4JRB</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New">30 + years in software industry=20
Management</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004D_01BE4C32.E00A4DC0--