[TowerTalk] Large Antenna Up the Tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Large Antenna Up the Tower?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 14:27:41 EST
In a message dated 99-01-30 13:01:48 EST, W4QA@charlotte.infi.net writes:

> I'm finishing up a 45G 100' guyed tower installation and will be putting
>  a Telrex TB6EM at the top (26' boom).  The problem I am contemplating is
>  how to navigate the antenna around the guys as I hoist it to the top.
>  I would hoist it up the top set of guys in a tram fashion, but trees
>  seem like they will be in the way if I try that (that is, if it is
>  riding up horizontal, or "flat" on top of the guy wire.)

       Check out the TowerTalk archives. What you're looking for is a
discussion on tramming.

      A tram arrangement is where you have a cable and the load is suspended
from it (like a tram car).

      What you're describing is a trolley arrangement where the antenna is
laid on top of the two trolley wires.

      I use the tram scenario about 95% of the time. You need 3 pulleys,a
tramline and a haul rope to make it work. A reprint of an article I wrote on
it is available for an SASE to Tower Tech, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072.

     Other interesting techniques are described in N6BT's book, "Array Of
Light", that don't use a tram of any sort but show you how to snake or 'wig-
wag' an antenna around guy wires. It's available from Force 12 for ten bucks.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
http://www.championradio.com