[TowerTalk] Large Antenna Up the Tower? (fwd)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Large Antenna Up the Tower? (fwd)
From: geoiii@kkn.net (George Fremin III)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 08:24:08 -0800 (PST)

> > I'm finishing up a 45G 100' guyed tower installation and will be putting
> >  a Telrex TB6EM at the top (26' boom).  The problem I am contemplating is
> >  how to navigate the antenna around the guys as I hoist it to the top.

>       I use the tram scenario about 95% of the time. You need 3 pulleys,a
> tramline and a haul rope to make it work. A reprint of an article I wrote on
> it is available for an SASE to Tower Tech, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072.

I have done antennas this way and it works quite well - although it
requires more rigging to get it set up.

>      Other interesting techniques are described in N6BT's book, "Array Of
> Light", that don't use a tram of any sort but show you how to snake or 'wig-
> wag' an antenna around guy wires. It's available from Force 12 for ten bucks.

Most of the time I just use one haul rope from the top
of the tower and I "corkscrew" the antenna around the
guy wires.  This is very easy to do if you do not
have any side monuted antennas.  If you have antennas
stacked up and down the tower the tram method is eaiser.

I have found that I have little trouble getting simple antennas
- like a 40-2cd - around all sorts of side mounted lower
antennas - including KT-34XA yagis - so I usually use
this method.

--

George Fremin III                   You know you've achieved perfection
Johnson City, Texas                  in design, not when you have nothing