[TowerTalk] sad day for ham radio

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] sad day for ham radio
From: cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (L. B. Cebik)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 07:43:58 -0500 (EST)
Like many others, K6STI's retirement from ham software development leaves
a gap in the array of available programs, both in modelding and in RTTY.
I hope that his friends will encourage him to return.

The search for alternative sources will take a couple of new turns this
year.

For Windows and NEC-2, ther will be two packages likely to arrive before
or at Dayton.  Roy Lewallen, W7EL, has been working on a Windows version
of EZNEC.  I saw a pre-alpha last year at Dayton privately, so a
description would be much out of date.  However, Roy is a perfectionist
and is likely not to release it with any major bugs (or any minor ones he
can find).  The feature list is likely to resemble that of the present
EZNEC 2, but with more visible at the same time.

Also for Windows and NEC-2, Nittany Scientific will release NECWin Plus
this Spring some time.  It will include symbolic geometry entry, Leeson
corrections for tapered diameter elements, and virtually unlimited (9999)
segment models, using a spread sheet input page so one can flip between,
say, equation entries for dimensions and the resulting numerical values.
Besides patterns, graphs of SWR and other data will be available, with
many refinements to make them available from the main screen by button.
(I can give more detail here, since I have had a later look.)

For Windows and MININEC, Orion in Canada continues to upgrade NEC4WIN,
which includes 3-D patterns, lobe identification on pattern graphics,
removal of the MININEC segmentation limit, and a rudimentary optimizing
routine.

If you see elements of K6STI's work spreading (although done from scratch
by each programmer), that is likely a true perception.  On the other hand,
there are some nice original features in each of the packages noted.

The actualy point of the note, besides predicting as best I can what will
soon emerge, is to note that all of the new packages will be W95/98
compatible as C++ continues to rule the developer's world ever more
thoroughly (not intended to start a thread on the merits of development
software).

Hope the update is useful.

-73-

LB, W4RNL

L. B. Cebik, W4RNL         /\  /\     *   /  /    /    (Off)(423) 974-7215
1434 High Mesa Drive      /  \/  \/\     ----/\---     (Hm) (423) 938-6335
Knoxville, Tennessee     /\   \   \ \   /  / || /      (FAX)(423) 974-3509
37938-4443     USA      /  \   \   \ \       ||              cebik@utk.edu