[TowerTalk] Heath SA-2060 Modification

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Heath SA-2060 Modification
From: perring@texas.net (Bob Perring)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 06:56:11 -0600
I recently put on line a second Heath model SA-2060 antenna tuner into my
station, and was reminded that several had asked me about an earlier post
wherein I described the SA-2060 as having a 3 position antenna switch that
performed, as follows:
1.      Bypass tuner so as to feed radio direct to antennas
2.      Feed radio coax to antenna #1 through the tuner
3.      Feed radio coax to antenna #2 through the tuner

As originally designed by Heath, this was not the case. I had forgotten
that when I assembled my original tuner back in 1982 that I realized that
Heath had designed the 3 position switch so that switch position # 1 was
to perform as:
1.       Feed transmitter to a 3rd outlet jack intended for connection
to a
dummy load or some other non-reactive load not requiring the antenna
tuner.

I opted to wire my tuner function switch positions differently.

It is a simple matter to make the switch positions work as follows:

1.      Bypass tuner and feed radio coax DIRECT to the antenna system.
2.      Feed radio coax to antenna #1 THROUGH the tuner.
3.      Feed radio coax to antenna #2 THROUGH the tuner.

To obtain this functionality, simply do the following:
Connect a #12 solid wire from SW101 pin #8 to pin #3.
Remove the wire feeding coax outlet #3 (?dummy load? connection)

Now, the dummy load coax outlet is rendered useless, which was OK by me,
and I can now select whether to feed my connector #1 to it?s antenna
system THROUGH the tuner or AROUND the tuner by selecting ?Coax 1?
position or ?Bypass? position from the front panel.

Antenna coax connector #2 remains as Heath originally intended. Duh !?

N5RP

Bob Perring
Consultant to Technology; ATD3
12715 Westmere