[TowerTalk] Advice on proposed tower/antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Advice on proposed tower/antenna
From: dick@libelle.com (Dick Flanagan W6OLD)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 10:25:59 -0800
I can only comment on a few of your questions:

>I bought a used Mosley Pro67B and because of some pretty high winds in
>this mountain valley, have chosen a heavy duty crankup tower( Tri-Ex
>LM-354HD).  My questions are these:
>
>[...]
>
>2. What are some recommendations for feedline? (power < 300 W, also
>mounting a VHF yagi and a VHF omni above the Mosley).

How long will the feedline be?

>3. I have a rotor that came with the antenna and I will try to get it's
>model number, but based upon the fact that I will lower it during
>storms, do I need to get a heavy-duty one of these?

In most cases lowering the tower will reduce the strain on the tower,
but not necessarily on the antennas and rotor.  Often the air
turbulance at lower heights is harder on the antennas then if they were
up higher where the turbidity is lower.

>4. The tower choice is because of neighbor concerns and also to get it
>out of some of the wind.  We had a storm here last week that ripped
>barn
>roofs off!  Is this one a pain to operate?  I financially can't get a
>motorized version.  Can this model be retrofitted later with
>wiring/switches/motor?

Without a motorized tower, you will find yourself more and more
reluctant to bring it down (and back up again) in the face of
questionable weather.  As a result, it will be left up in the face of
higher winds than might be prudent or forecast.

Personally, if I had to use a non-motorized crankup tower, I would plan
on leaving it extended (and guyed IF the tower allows for it) and only
plan on cranking it down for maintenance.

>5. Can you get the winches/motors from another supplier instead of
>paying $800-900 from the tower maker?

It would have cost over $2000 to retrofit my USTower HDX-572 tower with
a winch and motor and I would never have considered going to someone
other than the tower manufacture for them.  I enjoy experimenting, but
not with towers!

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/cvrc/