[TowerTalk] Info from Bencher regarding balun

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Info from Bencher regarding balun
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:41:39 EST
      I forwarded the post from Bud, K4ISV, regarding his experience (not
good) with the Bencher balun supplied with his new Bencher SkyHawk to the
Bencher factory -  I got this response:

>>  Steve - Thanks too very much for forwarding the message.

As we discussed, for one thing we have just begun replacing the old
toroidal design balun with a new design, a bead balun optimized for the
Skyhawk. We ran into unexpected problems in the field with the original
balun. Any Skyhawk owner that has one of the original baluns and is
having problems with it may return it to Bencher for an exchange to a
new balun at no cost. During the time we are making the exchange, the
user can do well with a balun choke made of 8 turns of coax with a six
inch ID.

We have been revising the manual and a new version of it will be ready
within the next couple weeks. It should make the assembly of the boom a
little clearer.

We have been studying reports of swr changing in the wind. Our own tests
have not demonstrated a significant problem, except when the antenna is
being turned during transmission. However, we are working on a suitable
design for some sort of spacer. I will let you know when that becomes
available.

73

Bencher, Inc.  >>