[TowerTalk] Re: G-800

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: G-800
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 16:51:05 EST
In a message dated 99-02-28 15:25:55 EST, mholley@quik.com writes:

>  My concern is that at the time of purchase of the rotor from a authorized
>  YAESU dealer it was clearly explained the make and size of the single mono
>  band antenna which a rotor was required . (HAM-PRO H240-4)
>   The only concern the dealers representative had  was the, total wind serf
>  ace area of the antenna, which is 8.27 sq ft. He then advised that as the
>  G-800 had a maximum antenna surface area limit of 2m sq( 21 sq ft) and
>  would be more than adequate to safely handle the antenna in question .
>   At no time was any reference to the maximum "K" factor requirements which
>  had it been I would have selected the G-1000 series .

       This is an instance of the salesperson not knowing "everything".

     In the old days, the governing spec for rotator capacity was "square
feet". About 10 years ago, Hy-Gain instituted their Effective Moment (EM) spec
which is the turning radius times weight. Soon Yaesu followed suit with their
"K Factor". It's an improvement but obviously not everyone is familiar with
it.

     BTW, you can see from your own situation that square footage alone
doesn't work.

      The spec 'error' was made by the salesperson; not by the manufacturer
(since they publish the ratings) or the buyer (since he didn't really know
either). I would take my complaint back to where you purchased it - they
should be interested in making it good for you.

>   Referring to the YAESU Antenna rotor specification brochure it is noted
>  that NO reference is made what so ever to "K" factor considerations for
>  any of the published rotors offered .

      Huh? I don't have the Yaesu general catalog to look at but the
standalone rotator brochure certainly has the K Factor as one of the specs.

      A mistake was made and some damage done. Hopefully we've all learned
something and it'll get taken care of to everyone's satisfaction.

      There is one moral though: Subscribe to TowerTalk to help stay out of
trouble!

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech
Champion Radio Products