[TowerTalk] Tower in center of 4square

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower in center of 4square
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 20:32:47 -0500 (EST)
> There
> certainly are a number of people out there with such configurations, and
> they work.

They work.  Just not as good as they would without the tower in the center
of the 4-square.  The only way you can make your 4-square really work like
a 4-square is to detune the tower in the center (thanks W8JI).

I have modelled my tower and 4-square and if you believe the model, I lose
5DB of F/B with the tower in the center.  This year I plan to detune the
tower and see if it makes much difference.

N4AF and I have been tossing around our experience with 4-squares this
season on 80 meters.   Both of us tweaking our antennas.  Everything I do
to improve it, seems to make a difference.  Yes I think just about
anything will "work" when phased around a tower.  It will just work better
if you pay attention to details.  I've been to W8JI's & I'm a believer.

73

Bill - W4AN