[TowerTalk] Gin Pole Strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole Strength
From: W4EF@pacbell.net (Michael Tope)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 07:02:01 -0000
Can anyone out there give me advice (anecdotal, analytical, or otherwise) on
sizing a gin pole
for structural integrity? I have a requirement to drop 24' of 1/4" wall 4130
chrome moly into
a Rohn 25G tower (estimate wt ~120 lbs). I currently have in hand a 20' section
of schedule 40
6061-T6 water pipe (1.915" OD; 0.158" wall) which I hope to use for the job in
conjuction with
WB0W gin pole fixtures (pulley and bracket). The actual working length
(measured from the
bracket to the pulley) would be around 15' to allow for raising the the moly
masts center of
gravity (z=+12') above the top of the tower.

My feeling is that the aluminum pipe should be adequate to the job provided
that we take
reasonable precautions to keep the load (mast) roughly collinear with  the gin
pole (e.g.
minimize side load). Any comments on my assumptions would be appreciated,
especially
from those who have already performed similar feats.

Thanks,

Mike, W4EF/6