[TowerTalk] Fiberglass Guy Rods - Correction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fiberglass Guy Rods - Correction
From: K7NV@contesting.com (Kurt Andress)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:01:22 -0800
Kurt Andress wrote:

> Snip...

> Using the material properties from Glasforms,  I get the following:
>
> A 3/8" diameter glass rod made by them is just about equal to the
> Phillystran
> HPTG11200 aramid cable for elongation. This is because the rod has 3
> time the area of the aramid to make up the difference in modulus.
> It is stronger by 800 Lbs than the Phillystran HPTG11200.
> And it weighs 1.76 times more than the HPTG11200 cable.

Snip...

But he made a mistake...

I allowed a typo to make it into my post last nite.

The 3/8" diameter pultruded rod has a breaking strength that is 1800 Lbs
stronger than the HPTG 11200, not 800 Lbs.

A 3/8" diameter rod made with 120,000 psi tensile strength material, results
in a breaking strength of 13,000 Lbs.
Those with calculators will find it really sez 13,253.59401, but we don't
work in an area requiring that resolution. It's Kind of like looking for the
extra .2 DB in your antenna pattern.
I can be entertaining, but will not work your last DXCC country or keep your
tower from falling down.

Sorry if this caused any confusion.

--
73, Kurt, K7NV