[TowerTalk] Optimized CC 614-B dims ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Optimized CC 614-B dims ?
From: freddpm@juno.com (freddpm@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 14:42:09 -0500
That antenna is a GREAT start to a SUPER antenna.  I did some extensive
modeling on the 34 foot boom length for the yagi I built for my QTH from
a old 617-6B.  The full results are published in the proceedings of the
24th eastern VHF conference available thru the ARRL.  Here it is in a
nutshell...  all from K6STI's YO

Spec                    617-6B stock            N1DPM 7 Element
(you'll need another director)
Gain (free space)               11.83dBi                        12.85dBi
F/B ratio                       22.5dB                  29dB
1st E plane Sidelobe (horiz)    -19dB                   -25dB
1st H plane Sidelobe (vert)     -10dB                   -18dB

Note the 1dB extra gain and the biggest "real" difference is the 1st H
plane (vertical) sidelobe.  This will "cut" local noise down on receive
and the RF level on transmit that is wasted pointing up in the air at ~70
degrees and down at the ground at ~70 degrees.  Not only has this greatly
improved my hearing on 6 meters it also went a long way in allowing TVI
and RFI free operation with 1.5 kW output  not to mention that the RF
exposure regulation stuff was met no problem.  In the article I also
provide plots of other antennas of the same size for comparison.
Here's the dims....

spacing                 element end length
        REFLECTOR               34.25"
54.695"
        DRIVEN ELEMENT          32.50"
40.542"
        D 1                     30.75"
62.295"
        D 2                     29.125"
69.247"
        D 3                     28.125"
82.042"
        D 4                     27.187"
89.304"
        D 5                     25.25"
These dimensions are in decimal format right off of YO but mine was built
with a Craftsman tape measure!  After all it's just 6 meters.

The shorting bars on the match should be placed 12.25" out from the inner
ends of the T match bars to the inside surface of the shorting strap.
This resulted in a 1.025:1 VSWR at 50.150MHz.

That should give you enough to build one of these!  Again the artical
describes a lot more detail.

73 C U on 6!
Fred
N1DPM