[TowerTalk] Grounding antennas?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding antennas?
From: w1nr@eecorp.com (Michael McCarthy, W1NR)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 06:35:54 -0500

Ted Leaf wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Just a thought on the previous post of whether to ground or float the
> coax of a wire antenna when not in use.
>
> If you ground, you may be attracting a lighting strike by offering an
> easy path for discharge.

   I have to disagree.  If the tower, antenna, mast, etc. is properly
grounded, lightning should be diverted to the ground point at the
antenna.  Grounding the coax helps relieve any residual.  Although
a direct strike will almost always result in some damage, no matter
how good a ground system you have, the most frequent cause of damage
is from nearby strikes and static build up.  In those cases, grounding
of the antenna coax will help.

> If you float, the discharge may find a more convenient direct path to
> ground elsewhere.

   Possibly jumping the switch to other equipment!

Mike, W1NR

--
**************** Give Every Man His Dew **************
Michael A. McCarthy, President