[TowerTalk] Re: Tuning coax stubs w/ shack test equipment

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Tuning coax stubs w/ shack test equipment
From: zak@goes.com (Walter Kornienko)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 13:45:00 -0500

A recent exercise in cutting (153 deg) stubs for 80M
I discovered that I got better results, a better indication
of resonance, using a noise bridge & receiver.  An Autek
RF-1 using the preferred method of tuning for minimum Z,
just couldn't give me the resolution that tuning through a
sharp dip on the rx could.  The resonance point of the
stub was about 4.350 MHz and the coax used was RG-8X.

However, using the RF-1 to cut over 300' of 3/4" CATV
hard-line to resonance at 3.795 MHz, the instrument
was easy to to tune to min. Z.  Evidently, the much higher
Q of the hardline makes it easier to cut to resonance than
lossier, flexible coax.

In this shack there are never enough test instruments,
gizmos, what have you, to aid me in building a better station.

                 73 de Walt Kornienko - K2WK - zak@goes.com