[TowerTalk] Ground Radial Fields

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Radial Fields
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:53:04 GMT

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Date: 30 March 1999 12:48
>Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Radial Fields
>

>> HI, Does anyone have any field strength data, re the lowering
>> of radiation angle in a given direction if extra radials are concentrated
>> in that direction. ie taken to the extreme 60 radials covering 180deg
>> whether that arrangement would have the performance of 120 radials at the
>> mid way point,and the radiation angle increasing as you run out of
>> radials. 73 Clive GM3POI
>
>You might ask on rec.radio.amateur.antenna I think it is N6RK who
>actually measured this stuff, and his measurenents agree with
>theory.
>
>Theory tells us the radials do nothing at all for low wave angle
>performance unless they are several wavelengths long and very
>desnse (about .05 wl spacing) at the open ends.
>
>Also, if you concentrate radials in one hemisphere efficiency in
>EVERY direction drops.

Is it possible that on N6RK's figures, that his comparisons were
invalidated for a setup using equal radials over 360 degrees, simply
because he did not run them in all directions?

This also leaves one with the enormous problem of huge real estate and
a fortune in wire to validate.

I also would appreciate some comment as to whether 20m results
properly extrapolate to say, 160m. I'm not planning to use a vertical
on 20m, though I understand why he used 20m.

>I found that true at WAAM radio, where someone cut and removed
>all radials going in the direction of a desired null. The only result of
>that was a decrease in field strength in all directions and instability
>of the array with soil moisture changes.
>
>73, Tom W8JI
>w8ji@contesting.com
>
>--

73, Guy