[TowerTalk] Buried Hardline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Buried Hardline
From: k1zat@dsport.com (JD Delancy)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:36:41 -0500 (EST)
James

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Setzler James M NPRI wrote:
> I'm going to bury some 3/4" CATV bare aluminum jacketed hardline
> across the back yard.  Does this stuff deteriorate if in direct
> contact with rocky New England soil

I was going to do that same thing, then thought better of it, even
though the soil in southern Maryland is somewhat sandy.

What I did was go to my local Lowe's (a home owners paradise) and buy
two 100 foot roll of coragated four inch flex drain pipe (without the
drain holes).  this is the stuff that home builders run from rain down
spounts into the back yard someplace, black in color.  Dug a trench
maybe six-seven inches down, layed two runs of flex drain pipe into the
trench, and back filled.  Then ran the CATV's thru it to the shack.

After I ran all the CATV's I wanted, I visited my local tire shop
looking for a rubber inner tube, they had one with a hole about the size
of quarter they gave me.  Cut pieces out of it about a foot long, split
it at the seam and then wrapped it around the ends of the flex pipes and
CATV's securing with heavy duty tie wraps.  That was to keep critters
and water out of the duct.

> Does it especially need to be encased in plastic pipe if buried?

A 100 foot roll of flex drain pipe cost about $15.  A 100 feet of PVC,
couplings, elbows, etc could easy run up to 50-75 bucks.  the flex is
easy to manage.  While most CATV is made for direct bury, the duct will
give you the option to add or subtract at will.

    jd