[TowerTalk] Re: Gin pole loading

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Gin pole loading
From: mcduffie@scottsbluff.net (Gary McDuffie, Sr.)
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 00:59:13 -0700
On Fri, 02 Apr 1999 23:18:04 -0800, Kurt Andress wrote:

> I can't see anyway that adding a mechanical advantage to the load side or lift
> side of the system will result in a reduction in the load applied to the top
> of
> the gin pole.

You don't add it to either side of the gin pole.  You replace the single
pulley at the top of the pole with a block and tackle.

> It can make the job easier for the fellows pulling on the rope, but the gin
> pole
> doesn't get to enjoy the benefit. Gotta have a net load of 200# on each side,
> no
> matter how you achieve it! The load at the top of the gin pole is determined
> by
> the line tensions exiting either side of the sheave and their angles.

That's what I originally said also.  But, if you revert back to my last
description and replace the single pulley with a 2:1 advantage B&T, you
only have to hang 100 lbs on the pull side to equalize the 200 lbs load.
You now only have 300 lbs on the pole (instead of 400 lbs).

Gary