[TowerTalk] Rotator for Microwave

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator for Microwave
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 07:51:40 +0100
Carl wrote:

>I am planning on mounting a 12" to 18" dish for 24 GHz  high up one of
>the towers on a sidearm. With a beamwidth of 1 to 2 degrees what would be
>accurate enough for a rotator?
>
>Prefer something that is not overkill or requires a 2nd mortgage.

In that price range, something like the KR-600RC is a reasonable buy.
(After Yaesu took over Kenpro they changed the number, but IIRC it's
still something with a 600 in it).

The "RC" is the important bit - it stands for "Round Controller" and
it's the one with the big 360deg dial. That gives you reasonable setting
accuracy to get somewhere near the required heading.

The other need is a way of slowing it down, or else you'll regularly
shoot past the best heading before you can stop the motor. There was a
555/triac pulse controller in an old Ham Radio which works very well for
this, and we reproduced it in 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'.

The other trick, which I'm sure you know already, is to mount an antenna
for your preferred talk-back band on the same rotator as an aid to
lining-up.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek