[TowerTalk] Routing feed lines off the tower....thanks+follow-up ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Routing feed lines off the tower....thanks+follow-up ?
From: Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 21:40:36 -0500
I read your previous message and this one, and I'm a little confused about
the topological alternatived you are proposing.

Guessing a little bit about your layout, I think there are two ways to do
this:

1. Assuming the tower is right next to the house, route the cables down to
the base of the tower and then directly to a bulkhead grounding panel or an
enclosed externally mounted grounding panel on the side of the house.
Lightning suppressors for every wire and cable are mounted through or on the
panel. From there the cables can take any reasonable route through the house
(across the basement?) and up to the second floor.

2.) Route the cables to the base of the tower, where they should be
connected to a set of weather-enclosed lightning suppressors. From there,
the cables go down into a buried PVC pipe, around the side of the house, and
up to a bulkhead panel or externally mounted grounding panel, where there is
a second identical set of suppressors. From there, the cables go into the
house and up to the second floor. You need to have the second set of
suppressors if there is more that a few feet between the tower and the point
of entry.

In both cases, a proper tower ground should be installed (multiple ground
rods connected to the tower legs in a radial pattern.) I believe the
lightning experts would advise grounding the coax shield at both the top and
bottom of the tower (Polyphaser makes some fixtures for this.) I believe
that is primarily for protection of the coax itself, and I don't think the
majority of hams do it. The panel is the single-point ground for everything
in your system and should be connected to its own ground rod.

Consider buying a copy of Polyphaser's book, "The 'Grounds' for Lightning
and EMP Protection". You'll learn a lot about the subject in there.

73, Dick, WC1M