[TowerTalk] C4 Repaired -Coax Damage ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] C4 Repaired -Coax Damage ?
From: ronc@sonic.net (Ron Castro)
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 21:05:52 -0700
Carefully inspect the PVC element insulators where the elements clamp to the
boom.   I believe they are made of PVC, and with age and UV exposure, could
have cracked when the lifting cable snapped.  It's also possible that one of
the other elements sustained damage causing intermittent conditions that
interact with the 40 meter element.  All of the elements are insulated from
the boom on the C-4.

In a previous post, you mentioned you were considering welding the sections
of the tower together rather than install a new cable.  Instead of welding,
have you considered putting large clamps on each of the movable sections,
lifting each section with a gin pole, then clamping the bottom to keep it
from telescoping back into the larger section?  That will at least give you
the option of re-cabling at some later date, not to mention making it easier
to remove the tower when the time comes.

Ron N6AHA