[TowerTalk] Re:Klien cable puller

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re:Klien cable puller
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:58:04 EDT
In a message dated 99-04-12 09:45:37 EDT, w3svj@juno.com writes:

> Be very careful when using that cable puller or others like it. It is
>  designed for pulling wire via a cable through conduit etc. It is not made
>  to support a live load. The thing does sort of look like a lamb chop. It
>  grabs the pulling cable through a movable open side. As long as there is
>  tension it will hold the pulling cable but if the line goes slack it can
>  and usually does just fall off of the pulling cable, that's why we use
>  it. It makes for quick connect/disconnect in a wire pulling job where
>  there is no concern of the wire pulling back through the conduit. You
>  could easily be stuck with the tower end of a guy wire on the ground and
>  the "lamb chop" hanging down the tower gripping nothing.

      Okay, a little clarification. Klein manufactures numerous pullers. The
one appropriate to our guy discussion is a 1613-40, also known as a 'Chicago
grip'. It is designed specifically for EHS of sizes useful to hams. It is
spring-loaded and will stay attached to a slack cable. It's made in several
sizes. The ham suitable one is available from Champion Radio Products.

     They also make 'rope pullers'. These are not spring loaded and will fall
off of a slack line. They have serrated jaws and are very handy for rope
loads. The teeth will not damage EHS so it can be used on it as well in a
pinch.

     BTW, my tower guys called them "pork chops".

> Use that device
>  only with a safety back up incase it should let loose.

      Excellent advice. You can attach a cable clamp behind the puller in
case it slips. Then it won't slip any further. On a tramline, I also clamp
the tram line behind the comealong in case of slippage. Redundant protection
is always encouraged.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech
Champion Radio Products