[TowerTalk] Concrete Base Experts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concrete Base Experts
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 19:18:08 -0400
> In a message dated 99-04-12 08:28:27 EDT, w4an@contesting.com writes:
>
> I sunk the Rohn in to the ground.  Now I need to use a pier pin with the
>  new tower.  I'm wondering if it is safe for me to cut the Rohn-45 off
>  and pour a slab over the top of the current base for use on the new
>  tower?  I could use part of the 45 base as rebar for the new concrete.

I'd leave whatever amount of 45 G needed to come near the top of
the concrete sticking out, and clean and prep the old concrete
(they make a bonding compound for pouring new concrete over old)
and pour new concrete over the base.

Then you could just stick the pin in the new concrete, and not have
to mess with drilling and such.

I've installed insulators in existing towers using this method.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com