[TowerTalk] BIG Tower/Antenna suggestions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BIG Tower/Antenna suggestions
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 15:39:34 -0400
I'm looking for some serious ideas and suggestions before I go to Dudley
Tower Service for a price quote.

The tower is very similar to Rohn 65, 20' sections and a 24" face.
Triangle mounting plates with 3 bolts per leg. The legs are 2" and about
.125" wall.  Tower was part of a 3 bay 200' bcast array. No rust
anywhere.

I have straight sections and the original base section which tapers and
terminates in a single point...forgot what the proper name is.

The idea is to put up 120 or 140'  with a much modified and strengthened
KLM 3 el 80M yagi.

Questions are:

What is the preferred base mounting and amount of concrete?  Only 18-20"
or so will be below grade and sitting on solid rock.

Can I get away with only 2 levels ( 50 and 100' ) of 5/16 EHS for guys
which will be out a full 75-80%?

I plan to use a mid size prop pitch for the rotator ( worked fine for the
original owner for 8 years) .  What read out options are available these
days? I sure dont want to regress to 1940's selsyns if I can avoid it. I
plan to mount the rotator at the same level as the top set of guys which
may be 20' below the antenna. The mast will be 3"  x .25" SS.

Why am I even doing this...must be getting senile!

Tnx  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]