[TowerTalk] Dacron Rope for Guys??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dacron Rope for Guys??
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 17:04:37 EDT
In a message dated 99-04-20 16:52:42 EDT, WA4DOSCOT@aol.com writes:

> I'm planning on putting up six sections of Rohn 25g. Someone locally
>  suggested using 5/16th inch Dacron Rope
>  (UV Resistant) for  2 sets of guys on each leg. I'm only putting a Ham M
>  rotor, hygain 4 el, 6 mtr beam (12 ft boom), 7 el 2 mtr quad (abt 5' ft
boom)

>  and diamond GP9, dual band  vertical. And a standoff with pulley and rope
> for
>  wire antennas........Not much total windload. Aside from obvious
> retentioning
>  periodically, any problems with doing this??

       Yes - LOTS! First, quite talking to your local 'tower advisors'.

        Next, the LXC Prime Directive "DO what the manufacturer says" ALWAYS
applies. The only currently acceptable guy wire materials are EHS steel and
Phillystran kevlar.

      The 5/16 Dacron rope is only 1770# breaking strength. Even doubling
them is less than the Rohn spec of 4000# breaking strength for 3/16 EHS.

      How would you terminate them? The dang stuff stretches enough that
you'd get the willys climbing the tower anyway.

      Do you have a Rohn book? If not, Champion Radio Products has them.
Follow the manufacturers specs and you'll stay out of trouble.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
www.championradio.com