[TowerTalk] Bringing Ladder Line into the house ??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bringing Ladder Line into the house ??
From: Guy Olinger, K2AV" <k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 23:00:03 -0400

From: Jerry Morris - W5MS-W5KUF-Corpus Christi Amateur Radio Club To: James
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Apple Date: Monday, April 26, 1999 4:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bringing Ladder Line into the house ??

>connect 2 -75 ohm cables together side by side......connect shield
>together at both ends.....
>use center conductor for each side of ladder line.....do not ground
>shield......been using this system on all 6 antennas......w5kuf

Curious as to why you don't ground the shields.  Grounding the shields was
the only way I could get rid of some florescent lamp noise. It changed the
tuner settings just a smidge.

I suspect that if the outside shield is a non-resonant length on ham bands
of use, or if the line is really well-balanced, that it wouldn't make as
much a difference. In that case I refer to, I was feeding an off-center feed
antenna direct with the ladder-line. These days I know that such an antenna
really isn't a balanced load, and there are unbalanced currents on the
feedline, hence the greater susceptibility to the noise near the dual-coax
feeders.

73, Y'all