[TowerTalk] 2nd tower siting advice

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 2nd tower siting advice
From: brian_smithson@vds.com (Brian Smithson)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:19:32 -0400
Hi all!

Last fall I put up a 72' Trylon self-supporting tower
with a F12 C31XR on top. It was so much fun I want to
do it again!

This time I thought I'd put a 40m beam on top and go
80 or maybe 88', but I really like the Trylon and not
having to mess with guys.

I live in South Carolina on 10 acres. The present
tower is about 100' from the house. It would be fairly
easy to site the new tower anywhere from 300 to 180
deg from north. Distance could range from 50' from
the south to more than 1000 to the north (easier to
run lines from the north too).

My question is, where would you suggest I put the new
tower in relation to the old one? I'd like to hang
something between them for 80 - what direction do you
suggest it be oriented and what would you put up?
I was thinking some sort of close-spaced 2L 80m wire
beam like I've seen in one of the ARRL compendiums.
If the tower were a couple hundred feed away at about
300-330 deg the beam would be pointed at Europe/africa.

What do you think?

Tnx es 73! Brian n8wrl