[TowerTalk] Boom caps. Are they needed?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Boom caps. Are they needed?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 19:15:59 EDT
In a message dated 99-05-03 18:30:37 EDT, sdetloff@metlife.com writes:

>  As I finished putting the elements together for three 10M
>  Yagi's this weekend, I'm just wondering if there is a real
>  need for boom caps.  I'm not sure about going without them,
>  but I have seen installations that the boom held water in it
>  (since then I've always used drain holes).  Any GOOD reasons
>  for using them?

      They are supposed to eliminate any wind-induced boom noises (like when
you blow across the top of a pop bottle). Do they? I don't know. Other than
that, I don't have any use for them. And yes they do trap condensation in the
boom and the trapped water can be enough to make the beam really
out-of-balance when you try to work with it.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC