[TowerTalk] Summary -- Bees [Long]

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Summary -- Bees [Long]
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 23:26:49 EDT
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu
if sending attachments:  k1vr@gis.net

Summary -- Bees, Bee Stings and Tower Climbing
by
Fred Hopengarten K1VR
May 3, 1999

From: Douglas Bradford <kz5qdx@communique.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 12:31:57 -0500

If they were what I call a greenish yellow, you were introduced to what
we call the "Super Jacket".  Same size as Yellow Jacket but
the sting is 10 times more painful. I don't remember
seeing them as a kid but they are common now. They
nest in the ground.  The way I get them is Sevin
Dust. Most of the time you get stung before you know
they are there. In the 30 plus years I lived here I've
rot rid of quite a few. I get up early in morning anyway.
I note before where they are going and located the
Entrance(and they have several)Sprinkle the holes
with Sevin Dust and that is the last you will ever see
of them. (The old Gasoline trick does not faze these buggers)  Worse than
that, How about Bumble Bee's.
They just lap up all spray, does not faze them at all.
Find the Entrance and It will get them.  I found them
going in a wall of my House as I was going up the
Tower one day. I had never seen them before that.

I stopped and got the Sevin ready for next morning
and covered the Entrance with Sevin Dust.  The only
thing I ever found that gets them

To keep from getting stung :  LUCK   they will attack
from 20 to 30 feet from their tunnels.

Tobacco, Adolf's and all the other tricks do not help
much when these rascals sting. It takes about 24 hours
for it to stop Hurting. Wet Tobacco helps best but not
much, 24 hours helps. It hurts worse than all the others
put together.  Hence the name "Super Jacket"

Brad  KZ5Q
=====