[TowerTalk] Galvanized Masts - Necessary?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Galvanized Masts - Necessary?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 11:34:34 EDT
In a message dated 99-05-04 11:15:29 EDT,
jrdavis@crnotes.collins.rockwell.com writes:

>                     Choice 1          Choice 2
>  Strength (psi)        87,000           110,000
>  Galvanized               yes                no
>  Delivery           > 1 month         Immediate
>  Cost (delivered)        $439              $294
>

>  >From my point of view, Choice 2 is preferable except that it's not
>  galvanized. My questions:
>
>  1. Is rust protection necessary/desirable for high carbon steel?

      While it would take *many years* for an uncoated piece of steel to
oxidize sufficiently to affect it's structural strength, it's still a good
idea. Besides, the rust running down the tower makes ungly stains and may
cause acceleration of other tower hardware rusting.

>  2. If so, are there good, low maintenance alternatives to galvanizing that
>     can be applied at home?

      Try a marine paint - available just about everywhere and you can brush
it on. Same with an idustrial coating. Look in the yellow pages under
industrial coatings or a related heading; maybe they can recommend something
else.

       I've tried the Hammerite and it didn't adhere very well and just
flaked off. Prep is important - wash the mast off with TSP and then paint
away.

     High quality spray cold galvanizing paint like LPS or Klein has great
adhesion. Champion has the Klein.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products

http://www.championradio.com