[TowerTalk] Belden 89880 Coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Belden 89880 Coax
From: bat@grumman.com (Pat Masterson)
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 13:09:32 -0400 (EDT)
I use it to feed my 40m antenna in the trees. There are 2 minor problems
with this cable.
If it has been used as ethernet, there are liable to be holes in the
cable from the vampire taps of the transcievers. These can be filled with
a sealant, but you cant run high power without arcing in the holes, as
they go through the shield to the center conductor.
Also, the stuff is not UV resistant. It will age badly outdoors. The
color will quickly fade (no big deal) but the outer coating will begin
to crack and admit water.
So, if you dont mind replacing it every few years, go ahead and use it.

On Sat, 8 May 1999, Michael
Dinkelman wrote:

> Here, at Boeing surplus, we occasionally come across a reel
> of Belden 89880 50 Ohm Coax (its Ethernet cable). It's
> triple shielded and the specs say lower loss than RG213.
> Looks like it'll take a PL256 with little problem.
>
> Anybody else ever used this stuff for main coax runs? It's
> kinda stiff to work with (plus that bright orange is hard
> to hide) but the cost is hard to beat. Anything I am missing
> here?
>
> 73
> dink
>
> Michael Dinkelman, N7WA
> mwdink@eskimo.com
> Kent, WA
>

> --

--*
*  Pat Masterson  B38-01,  Northrop Grumman,     *  Ham:KE2LJ
*  Plant 1, South Oyster Bay Rd.,                *  President Grumman Amateur
*  Bethpage, NY 11714                            *  Radio Club  WA2LQO
*  email: bat@grumman.com   Fone: 516-346-6316   *  www.qsl.net/wa2lqo
--*