[TowerTalk] Mounting in the tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mounting in the tower
From: K7NV@contesting.com (Kurt Andress)
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 08:01:01 -0700
<373884b3.136674822@208.14.222.1>
Sender: owner-towertalk@contesting.com

"Gary McDuffie, Sr." wrote:

> This whole situation bothers me about my "new" HG54HD also.  I look at
> the mounting position of the rotor and wonder why it isn't further down
> inside the top section.  Has anyone successfully moved one down on this
> tower?  I've got the thrust bearing, but in my mind, the rotor needs to
> be several feet lower, even for a short mast, a tri-bander, and a vhf
> yagi.
>
> Gary - AGØN

Gary,
It certainly can be done, but is probably not necessary.

Freestanding towers are different from guyed towers.

I think you'll find that the tower is limited by the bending stress at the
bottom of
each section.

It is likely that the stress at the bottom of the top section will always
exceed the
stress caused by the mast connection to the tower.

--
73, Kurt, K7NV