[TowerTalk] Light Bulb Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Light Bulb Antenna
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 05:43:16 -0400
> > This morning I was watching HGTV with the XYL and the TV folks where
> > taking a tour of  the house of the future.
> >
> > There is a new light bulb of the future coming our way.  The base of the
> > screw in bulb has a coil of wire sitting above it about and inch or two.
> > Looked like about 20 turns of #16.  The coil is not in a vacuum. The
> > coil is covered with a shell of glass, like a kerosene lantern globe.
> > The coil is excited with RF which causes the phosphor coating in the
> > globe to glow brightly.  snip...
>
> Dave,
>
> Look at it the other way, you give all your neighbors one without a cord,
> so the only time it lights up it when your on the air.  Every night when
> it gets dark, the neighbors start calling and asking you to get on the
> radio. On really dark nights they ask for the amp too.  (8>))

and more interesting yet....wait til you turn on your receiver!

Move over touchlamps, the bad boy bulb is in town! You'll hear all
kinds of trash from that bulb.

Right now the manufacturers are asking the FCC for an exemption
to interference standards, so they can build the "dirty bulb".

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com