[TowerTalk] [Fwd: BOUNCE towertalk@contesting.com: taboo header: /^cc:\

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] [Fwd: BOUNCE towertalk@contesting.com: taboo header: /^cc:\s*.+/i]
From: mihry@argontech.net (Michael D. Ihry)
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 16:45:01 -0500
--------------9F979AB573EE487EA38D3C1A

From: owner-towertalk@contesting.com
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:19:59 -0400 (EDT)
To: n5kb@contesting.com

>From n5kb  Tue May 18 12:19:57 1999
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 09:19:47 -0700
From: Eric Gustafson <n7cl@mmsi.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
CC: wb1dog@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Feeding a multi band loop (cloud burner) with balanced
line

Hi Jim,

I think you are right to suspect the balun.  If it is a "true"
W2DU, it can be shorted at the output (balanced) end.  I have
found several in this state.  The hardware in the top cap (screw
eyes, etc.) is designed to be a spark gap to the ground strap
that goes from the top hanger screw eye down to the coax shield
at the bottom.  Sometimes their tolerances permit one or the
other of the output terminals to be shorted to the ground strap.
A DC conductivity check will always show a short to the coax
shield regardless of the state of the top hardware.  I have also
found this type of balun with an internal "open" connection.  But
this is much more rare.

I don't think you can see an actual SWR as high as 20:1 on bands
above 80 meters regardless of the feed method without a fault in
the system somewhere (shorted balun, shorted or open coax
connector, open connection in the balun or elsewhere, etc.).  So
you should carefully check all of the system components and
connections.

The 1:1 bead sleeve balun is the right type to use for this
application.  Another type that could be used is to roll up 8
turns or so of the coax on a piece of 5 inch PVC tubing long
enough to get a turn to turn spacing of 0.5 to 1 inch.  Unless
you are getting a pathological impedance transformation due to an
unfortunate length of open line, I don't think you should see an
SWR much higher than 8:1 worst case.  I have run 80 meter loops
and dipoles on all higher bands (up to 30 MHz?) through a 1:1
balun with no problems.

You should probably eliminate all system components except coax,
balun, and open line until you get the system sorted out.  Then
add the protection devices, knife switch, loc (whatever that is)
, etc. back into the system one at a time.

I have a few questions about your system.

1.  What kind of tuner are you using?  What does LDG stand for?
    Does it have continuously variable inductor and capacitors?

2.  Why bother with the twinlead for such a short run?

3.  What balancing device were you using when the loop was coax
    fed?  This antenna requires feedline decoupling regardless of
    the apparent feed impedance.  If you weren't using a balun of
    some sort before, you may have radically changed the antenna
    by disconnecting a major fraction of the radiator from the
    loop when using balanced line.  This could show up as a
    radical change in feedpoint impedance.

4.  What do you mean by grounding one side of the balun?  What
    are you actually grounding (coax shield, one of the balanced
    output terminals)?  What ae you actually grounding it to?

5.  What are the actual dimensions of your loop?  Is it fed on a
    corner or in the middle of a side?  How high above ground is
    it?  Do you know what its resonant frequency is?  Is it
    square, rectangular, triangular, circular, etc.?

73, Eric  N7CL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>