[TowerTalk] 40M Beam Interaction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40M Beam Interaction
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 14:01:10 EDT
In a message dated 99-06-02 12:49:35 EDT, k3nd@yahoo.com writes:

> I have heard that the "new" Cushcraft, 2 el 40M beam (XM240)  has
>  substantial interaction with nearby 20 M, full size, elements.  I
>  understand that the older 40-2CD doesn't exhibit this tendency!  Anyone
>  have any practical experience with these antennas stacked 9 - 12 with a
>  20 M beam?

       I have installed 402CD's as close as six feet from a tribander with
some degradation in SWR but you could live with it. I have recently installed
my first XM240 and even eight feet away from a TH11, it was terrible and
affected both antennas. I turned it 90 degrees from the TH11 and it got
WORSE. I moved the antenna up the mast a couple of more feet (inline booms
again) and figured we could live with the higher SWR.

      Speculation from talking to a couple of TowerTalkians led us to believe
that the now insulated reflector could be the problem since that's about the
only thing that's changed as far as we knew. Anyone else have any insight?

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC