[TowerTalk] tower bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower bolts
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 13:16:02 EDT
In a message dated 99-07-02 12:39:34 EDT, k4nr@earthlink.net writes:

> What is the primary reason for HDBX failures?

     Well, basically they won't take much torque - that's why the factory
spec says "maximum 10 foot boomlength". The stamped metal legs combined with
X-braces that don't overlap are great for TV antennas with very small weight
and boomlength but marginal for many HF yagis.

      Most of the failures I've seen were sections towards the top that
collapsed in compression between the X-braces.

     Torque on the tower will also pop the rivets off of the X-braces near
the top as well as crack the rotator shelf and top shelf.

     While they're available used and cheap just about everywhere, I would
only use one with caution.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC