[TowerTalk] PVC & Losses

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] PVC & Losses
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 12:12:50 -0400
> Wonder if anyone could comment on the use of 4" OD PVC Tubing as a form
> for a loading coil that will be used in an above ground shortened radial
> system on each element of a 4-SQUARE?  Should I hunt around for
> Polyethylene or is the PVC OK for this type application.

Hi Sig,

Since a coil loaded elevated radial system is pretty inefficient
anyway, I don't think the loss of Q caused by using PVC would
hurt much anyway.

If the system had reasonably high efficiency, then the PVC would
be a problem.

I would worry about moisture detuning the coils. Put them in some
kind of enclosure that keeps water away from the coil.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com