[TowerTalk] tower accident-- ALMOST!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower accident-- ALMOST!
From: k4isv@westky.com (Bud)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:19:57 -0500
A few nights ago a friend borrowed my safety belt to install a TV tower.
Today I needed the belt to do some work on the 80M antenna @ 190ft.  No
problem, I thought, since my OLD belt was hanging in the garage.  This OLD
belt was given to me in the 60's and had not been used for at least 10-15
years.  It still LOOKED GREAT!  I think it was just blind luck that I
decided to do a small test ... I hooked it around the tower--  both legs
still on the ground and tugged a bit--- NO PROBLEM.  I climbed up about 3
ft and rehooked exerting more and more pressure and then gave a sudden jolt
as hard as I could---- next thing I new I was on my back on the ground!
The leather strap, although looking great, had snapped in half.  Even a 3ft
slip shook up these old bones---- sure glad it wasnt at 190.

I did secure another belt and the driven element of the M2 3 ele 80 is back
up and the antenna is back to life!   It does make you think though... why
take down the 80m beam in winter and put it up in the summer??

Be careful guys... one simple ( stupid ) mistake and its over.

73

Bud K4ISV