[TowerTalk] Mast tubing recommendations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast tubing recommendations
From: dlleikis@deseretonline.com (David Leikis)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 09:51:15 -0600
Thanks to all of those who have helped me already with questions that I
have had in designing my tower installation to date.  Your inputs have
been most helpful.

I would like to get a recommendation from the group on mast tubing.  I
know that the range is from cast iron pipe to pretty sophisticated
stuff, but I would like to know the typical, or standard item to use.  I
am mounting a Pro-67B (no comments about the pros and cons of it please.
I don't want to open that discussion again!)  On a 2" section about 5
feet above the tower top and to continue up for at least 3 more feet.  I
then would like to reduce it to 1 1/2" and mount on a horizontal 1 1/2"
section for some 2m/70cm vertical yagis for directional/satellite work.
Finally, I want my omni 2m/70cm mounted above that.

Some tubing, hardware, and spacing choices from your mental archives
would be appreciated.

Last question:
Does anyone have experience building an erection fixture for tilting up
the LM-354HD crankup?  I can't buy the pre-made one because of cost, and
I have access to a wide range of welders/power tools.  I have some
ideas, but would like to solicit some from the group.

Thanks in advance,

Dave KG7EW