[TowerTalk] TOP HAT FOR BB3 Screwdriver Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TOP HAT FOR BB3 Screwdriver Antenna
From: wa3gin@erols.com (Dave Jordan)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:08:36 -0400
Hi Folks,

Today I had a chance to experiment with the use of a TOP HAT.  I made it
real inexpensively. From three steel coat hangers  bonded together at
the hook and each tilted 30 degrees from horizontal.  Mounted it
12inches above the BB3 loading coil.

I operate 40m primarily so I compared the amount of coil normally used
on 40 meters with the resonant point after attaching the top-hat.  I was
somewhat surprised at how much a difference it made regarding the
physical tap point on the coil. Normally it takes about 46 turns of coil
to resonant the BB3 w/63inch whip on 40m.  With the top-hot the number
of turns on the coil dropped to 30 turns.  That is almost a 1/3rd less
coil. Don't know what that equates to in inductance...
I presume less inductance means better efficiency.

Now a few questions:

o Did I just improve the efficiency of my mobile antenna?

o Can I start visualizing more current climbing up that 12 inches of
whip between the coil and
   the top-hat?

o Is the claim of the screwdriver builders true -- that this little
top-hat is worth at least 1db
   improvement?

o Is it true that the higher up the whip the top-hat is placed the
greater the effect?

o If the reduction of inductance does significantly improve effeciency
then is it reasonable to
   presume that one could raise the power rating of the antenna?

HAVE FUN,
dave
WA3GIN