[TowerTalk] Yagis and Receive Strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagis and Receive Strength
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:54:24 EDT
In a message dated 99-07-23 14:39:33 EDT, rthorne@tcac.net writes:

> does a larger
>  yagi, i.e. going from 2 elements to say 4 elements improve receiving as
>  well as transmitting?

      Of course! 5 db gain is 5 db gain in tx and rx. The most common problem
with stacks is getting the antennas out of phase. You need to feed the center
conductor on the same side of each driven element and the same other side for
the shield. For F12 baluns, the black leads should line up and the white
leads should also line up. If that IS the situation you have now, maybe band
conditions were to blame. Or maybe you were hearing the next layer of weak
stations that you'd never heard before and the problem may be more software
(gray matter) instead of hardware.

> While I'm only stacking 2 Force 12 C3's (which
>  gives me 2 elements on each band times two) it seems to me that I'm
>  improving my receive capability better than I would with a single
>  antenna with 4 elements on each band.

      Total gain should equal total gain regardess of how you get there.

>  I would love to stack a pair of C31XR's but I would have to get a 40
>  meter beam and I'm sure this exceed the limits of my 25g tower.

       Ouch - you're right.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC