[TowerTalk] Lightning comments

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning comments
From: rhodes@willinet.net (Jim Rhodes)
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 22:56:30 -0500
The conductivity of water is due almost entirely on the dissolved ionic
compounds. For example sugar water in basically no more conductive than
distilled water, but salt water is much more conductive due to it's ionic
nature. Dissolved ions cannot be filtered out by a simple sand filter, so I
would have to be pretty skeptical of this claim.

Also the water around here comes from the top and filters down, so the
cleanest water is down further and the dirtiest water is near the surface.

At 10:41 PM 8/2/99 -0500, you wrote:

>I found the following quote on another mailing list, having nothing to do
>with Ham radio.  Any comments?
><<<<
>The problem in much of Florida is that the fine sand acts like
>a filter, and renders the ground water ultra-pure.  This is all well and
>good for drinking, but does not conduct electricity well at all.
>For a lightening rod to work, a second rod (a 'counterpoise') is
>sunk into the ground and conencted via heavy cable to the lightening
> rod.  In parts of florida this counterpoise must be sunk over 250 feet
>deep in order to reach dirty enough water.
><<<<
> in view of the recent notes from Jim Reid about lightning in the Hawaiian
>Is., I thought this was interesting. although I have my doubts.
>
>Bill- W4BSG
>-
>Bill Aycock   ---   Persimmon Hill
> Woodville, Alabama, US 35776