[TowerTalk] Tornado here

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tornado here
From: GRITelecom@aol.com (GRITelecom@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 02:40:30 EDT
Jim,

In June 1998 an F3 came within 100 yards of one our telecommunications towers
in Binghamton, NY.  Upstate about 4 hours from you.  The tornado was on the
ground as it passed our site and cut a 150' wide swath.  It went right over a
350' self supporting AM directional tower (around 15' at the base) and
twisted it off it's concrete foundation and felled it in a straight line
towards the center of the swath.  The tornado went over one of the anchor
points of a 783' guyed tower (7' face) and collapsed the secondary TV array
into the tower at 750' and twisted one bay of a 4 bay FM array at 500'.  The
tower and top mounted array was untouched.  It continued on the ground,
passed right where we are now in the process of putting a new 1150' tower,
and hit a 600' guyed 5' face tower head on.  It took it straight out 600' on
the ground and luckily the two people in the TV studio directly beneath it
we're not hurt.  It collapsed three or four large satcom dishes and picked up
a dumpster and "moved" it 3/4 of a mile.  The hill was without power for
almost 7 days.  Our tower is a small 170' Rohn 55G that we had just refitted
with three star mounts to remove the lateral sway for it is heavily loaded
with landmobile/paging arrays/lines.  It was untouched but it wasn't all due
to the guying for none of the arrays were touched, including five 1 meter
dishes on the building.  We were lucky.  When you're number is up, it's up.

Gordon N6IN/2
GRI Telecom, Inc. / T&K Communications Systems, Inc.