[TowerTalk] Ford diesel noise problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ford diesel noise problem
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 18:45:24 EDT
A while back I posted a note to the Reflector asking about this problem.  A
number of of you replied with some very good suggestions.  Unfortunately,
though the problem has been somewhat reduced, it's still there.

Here's a summary of how things stand at this point.

 The noise problem in my 1999 model Ford pick-up truck is coming from
 something in the electrical/computer control system on the Power stroke
 diesel engine.

 The noise is on forty meters but not really present on eighty meters. It
 varies with the amount of acceleration, and drops off when you let off
 on the accelerator. We have completely removed the alternator and the noise
 is still there exactly as before.

 I have disconnected the Icom 706 MKIIG from the power cable going to the
 truck battery and put it on a portable battery pack on the seat next to me
 and the noise is still there.

 When I disconnect the mobile antenna completely from the rig the noise
 goes away. The noise sounds exactly like bacon frying in a frying pan and
 obscures all signals below S-7. I have not yet taken my portable shortwave
 receiver with a wire antenna on it as a probe and moved it around under the
 hood to attempt to get a fix on the exact location of the noise around the
 engine. Even if I were to do that, I would not know what the device or area
was
 which I had pinpointed.

 This gives a picture of the problem and the steps which I've taken so far to
 find the noise source. Hope someone has had a similar problem and has found
 a fix for it.

 Bob, W5SJS

That's about it... Any suggestions would surely be appreciated.

Thanks....

Joe, W5ASP