[TowerTalk] Re:

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re:
From: gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU (George T. Daughters)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:36:37 +0008

Hi Nat,

I'm sure you'll get lots of answers to your very reasonable
questions.  I think 30 feet of house-bracketed Rohn 25 is very
sensible.  The Rohn Catalog gives lots of information and examples.
The reason I think so is that I've used 30 feet of house-bracketed
Rohn P30 (lighter duty that #25) for over 30 years, in a 70mph zone.
(Yes, I know I've been lucky!)  I had a Force-12 C3 on it from 1993
until 1998, when I put up a C4SXL.  I have now replaced the little
tower with a sturdy 55 foot crankup, and I'm looking forward to the
extra height, especially for the 40 meter band.

> -- Or even more simple: is the performance of a beam at 30' worth the
> effort and $$ (compared to my dipole in a tree at a similar height)? Going
> higher than that would not endear me to my neighbors!

The performance of a beam at 30 feet will be head and shoulders above
the performance of dipoles at the same height.  Just because 30 feet
isn't "ideal" doesn't mean it isn't worth doing!

My advice (worth every penny you're paying me!) is... put a C-3 at 30
feet  (or 32 feet... remember you can gain a little altitude with the
mast) and enjoy a new world!

By the way, I'm only a satisfied Force-12 customer, not a stockholder
or brother-in-law, etc.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT