[TowerTalk] $/db

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] $/db
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 20:06:57 +0000
Guys,

>From the responses received so far, some comments
are in order.

1.The guidlines for how the gain was to be
obtained and for what purpose was left vague
deliberately.  Obviously putting in $50,000 to put
your 20 meter antenna up at 300' so you can work
one station 12,000 miles away is a gain.  However,
it isn't a benefit most of the time.
So if you think you have a benefit, explain how it
comes about and what it means in everyday
operating.

2. Also, I purposely left out the "Receive Gain"
component.  I don't want to raise that issue.
There is at least some hope for evaluating the
benefit in the transmit area.

3. Please include an estimate of what it costs and
how you figured the cost (I went to the junk yard
and pulled out 6 miles of #10 copper wire for
$5).  The cost figure should reflect the average
guy having to repicate the benefit.

4. Generalities are not helpful.  Specifics are
needed.  They should be supportable.  A proposal
like doubling the boom length is a generality.
Replacing antenna x which cost $y with another
having twice the boom length and costs $z is a
specific (can you tower/rotor handle it or must
they also be upgraded too?)

Thanks for your contributions.

73 de Brian/K3KO